Sunday, December 31, 2017

My 2018 Rotation Plans

I thought I'd share my attempts for a rotation from recent times. I've gone through a few iterations, especially since Flosstube has enabled me to move away from monogamous stitching. Don't be afraid to mix things up or try something new! Especially if it isn't working for you.

Attempt 1:
2017 was my year of starts...I did all my kits I had bought and not yet started over the last few years. Initially, I started a new project every 2 weeks and worked on it monogamously. But then Stitch Maynia came calling and I started all the things in Maynia 2017.

Attempt 2:
Now that everything was started, I chose 4 projects for a weekly rotation, working on them for 1 week each. This worked pretty well for me, but I wanted to try to touch more of my WIPs for Soulful Stitching's Year of WIPs. So I thought I'd get crazy.

Attempt 3:
I had big, beautiful, ambitious plans for this rotation. I hope someday to return to this set-up when I have more time to stitch (so in like, 30 years...). I tried this for about 2 months. I loved the idea but I just can't stitch long enough in the evenings with 2 small kids. It takes me most of an hour for 100 stitches, so I could never get through the whole thing on weeknights.
100 stitches on a full coverage piece
100 stitches on a quarterly new start
100 stitches on a monthly focus piece
300 stitches at least on a weekly focus piece

Current attempt:
I'm going to try a goal oriented rotation. Once my set goal is completed, I'll move onto the next category. Some of my pieces fit in more than 1 category so I can work on them for a couple of rotations if they're calling to me. I also have some duplicate categories, so once the piece is finished I'll replace it with a different kind of piece. I hope that this variety will keep me interested and keep my progress going on more pieces. We'll see how long this lasts. I have hope for now.

Categories:
Quaker - Winter Quaker. Finish 1 page
Christmas - 12 days of Christmas by Joan Elliot. Finish 1 day
Christmas - 12 days of Christmas by Dimensions. Finish 1 day
Full coverage - Summer Splendor. Complete 21 blocks.
BAP - Christmas Bears treeskirt. Finish 1 bear
Ladies - Winter Walk. Finish 1 row.
Oldest WIP - Angel of Cross Stitch. Finish 30 blocks.
Whine and WIP - Frog Pile. Finish 1 frog.
Seasonal - Snow family Christmas. Finish the top border to the corner.
Series - Christmas ornaments by Janlynn - 1 ornament
Smalls - Christmas ornaments by Janlynn - 1 ornament
Houses - Enchanted Dragon. Finish top of the castle
Halloween n/a
Free choice - TBA
Kid's choice - Snowballs. FO
Random generator - TBA
Focus on a finish-  Snowballs. FO
Work piece - Winter Reindeer. A little bit daily.
New start - Snowballs. FO
Magazine - n/a
Glendon place -n/a
The Drawn Thread - n/a
Gifts n/a

I hope to work through each category, then restart. Wish me luck!

I'm focusing on 4 Facebook groups this year:
Soulful Stitching's Year of WIPs. I hope to finish 8 of my 16 WIPs.
WIPocalypse. I hope to blog monthly and show actual progress.
Stitch From Stash. I failed miserably both halves in 2017 so I'd like to finish in the black this time!
Stitch Maynia. I may follow some of the daily SALs but I'm going to do a WIP-Maynia in May. All my remaining WIPs will get live in May for at least a day or two.

Now, I'm off to stitch!!
~Julie

1 comment:

March WIPocalypse check-in

Hello everyone! March was a rather spotty stitchy month for me. After having 2 finishes in both January and February, my remaining project...